It is days like today where I really feel Canadian. I'll admit I don't understand why all the schools had a 2 hour early release so the kids could attend the Homecoming Parade. Granted, I don't really understand what homecoming is all about... My limited knowledge was gained from episodes of Beverly Hills 90210...
Anyway, it was a beautiful afternoon for a parade. The whole town was out to support our one high school and their students.
The semi-finalists for Homecoming King and Queen waved to us in their tuxedos and sequined gowns. The football team threw out candy to the kids. The marching band marched and the cheerleaders chanted "Go Huskies". Al told me it is Homecoming Week, so I guess parades are part of the tradition(?)



So, homecoming typically is in the fall (high school, college, etc) where there is an event (like a football game) that draws alumni back. They make a big hype out of it ... parades (float made by classes and/or clubs), pep rallies, class competitions (silly relays or skits, etc), and finally the crowning of the Homecoming King & Queen (aka popular kids) usually during halftime at the football game. Typically there's a homecoming dance--usually the following night, so everyone can get "pretty".
ReplyDeleteThanks Sheri! I am sure I'll learn all about what a homecoming, pep rally, (and why Katie needs a $500+ prom dress) in a few more years...
ReplyDelete