However I have underestimated how smart Miss Wendy is. When her parents handed her off, they showed me how to lock and unlock the lid of her cage. They commented that one clasp was broken, but the lid would stay secure. I tested it... it appeared very secure.Little did I know Wendy would build a huge hill with her wood chips and climb to the lid. Or that she would then work at the lid... nudging it, chewing it, bumping it until at last she succeeded in moving it enough to squeeze out....
Imagine our surprise to find Miss Windy out and (thankfully) sitting in front of the cage!!! OMG!!!!
I hadn't touched a hamster since my elementary school days, but after a silent prayer that I wouldn't get bitten, I picked her up and placed her safely back in the cage.
There is now a small (but heavy) box sitting on the lid to prevent her from a second escape. :o)
On a side note... I have since picked up and held Miss Windy several times. She is a sweetie!



I still say you need to keep an eye out for Tinkerbell ... are you sure there isn't pixie dust mixed into those wood chips?!?
ReplyDelete;-)
She's an escape artist! lol!
ReplyDeleteHow fun for you guys!
ReplyDeleteThat is very cute - smart little Wendy. ;) I love how you described saying a quick prayer before picking her up. I would do the same!!
ReplyDelete