Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Badges of Honor


Katie is smiling for the camera… but keep in mind that looks can be deceiving.

In truth there were more tears then smiles on the day this picture was taken. Monday afternoon Katie had her 5-year child wellness visit. She now weighs 45 pounds and is 3 feet, 6 inches tall!

My poor little girl also had to endure 5 shots (required to enter Kindergarten). I was warned that a few of them would sting…

Now some of you might wonder why I would force my daughter to endure 5 shots all at once. I did have the option to have 3 done and to come back another day for the last 2. However our nurse highly recommended we get them done all at once. I have to say I am happy that I did. I think it would have been crueler to drag Katie back (no doubt kicking and screaming) in another week or two for another round of painful pokes. There is some solace in knowing she won’t need another immunization until she is 11 years old.

4 comments:

  1. 5 shots! Holy Jimminy Cricket! What a brave girl! I don't blame you for wanting to get it all done at once. At least it won't be hanging over your head next week! That's a lot. I wonder why they give them so much now? Must be because of all of the things there are out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a side note from my soap box, shots are not required for kindergarten.. they make you believe they are as a way of pressuring parents to have their children inoculated. You can actually opt out of immunizations all together and sign a waiver to enter kindergarten.. Just a FYI, not that you would want your child to get mumps or polio, but it is not required, and in fact I have never had an immunization in my life. And I grew up right here in Vancouver, WA.. :)

    (But I'm glad Katie made it through with her shiny bandages, that's alot of pokes for a little lady.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Katie. I'm doing the same with Iliana in a few weeks, and I too believe it's best to do it all at once. Why prolong the process? They are so over it after a few minutes anyway. Kids thrive of 'being brave' about stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate shot days. They did spring a shot on Corinne at 6 after they had told us before that she was done for a few years. She was brave for all her previous shots but that time I had to drag her out from under the kiddie table.

    ReplyDelete